Each sector and workplace are different with different considerations, so this toolkit should be used as a guide to help businesses consider what to put in place to create robust programmes. Included with the toolkit are some supporting practical activities businesses can use, as well as examples from companies who have already developed an infrastructure relevant for their business environment and have kindly agreed to share examples. These examples should be used for reference only to help your company develop supporting documents relevant to you.
- Work Inspiration How To Guide
- Student Handbook
- Supervisor/Buddy Handbook
- How To Do Taster Days
Work Inspiration How To Guide - This document is a practical guide to support businesses to consider what is required in order to provide inspirational work experience and work place visits for young people. Each sector and workplace are different and, the considerations will vary according to the nature of the business. This document should be used as a guide to help businesses consider what they need to put in place to create a robust and inspirational work experience programme.
The Three Insights
Each of the three document provides exercises and tools to use with your student during their work placement. These fun sessions take no more than an hour each but are the key to creating a truly inspiring placement. Each exercise builds on the one before it.
- Insight 1: All about me - By thinking through responses to different situations, this exercise helps the supervisor/buddy get to know the student and helps the student to consider what they are interested in and good at.
- Insight 2: Look behind the scenes - The aim of this exercise is to help the student to understand the variety and scope of roles in your organisation beyond where they spend their placement. Using the information gained by working through Insights 1 will help you to focus upon jobs which maybe of most interest to the student
- Insight 3: Career Plan - In this workbook there is guidance to help you provide insights into how careers and jobs happen. There is a fun activity for students to complete with colleagues in your workplace which helps to illustrate the opportunistic way careers unfold.
Student Handbook - This template handbook is provided in MS Word so that it can be downloaded and adapted for your businesses and corporate style. The handbook is the key document with all the information a student will need during their placement and should be completed by them at the end of each day. Please be aware that this is a guide and Health and Safety aspects in particular must be carefully considered and tailored to suit your workplace.
Work Inspiration Supervisor/Buddy guidebook - This template guidebook forms part of the ‘Work Inspiration Toolkit’ and is provided in Word so that it can be downloaded and tailored to your business and corporate style. The guidebook is the key document that the Supervisor/Buddy will edit and update before and refer to during the placement. It is to be used in conjunction with the How-To-Guide. Please be aware that this is just a guide and the Health and Safety, safeguarding and child protection aspects in particular, must be carefully considered and tailored to suit your workplace.
How to do taster days - This document can be used as a quick reference when planning to deliver a workplace visit. It is to be used in conjunction with the How To Guide.
Below are some examples of documents created by UBS and Barclays as part of their work experiences programmes. These should be used for reference only, when creating versions appropriate for your business.
- UBS Work Experience Charter - An example of a Charter created by UBS to communicate their approach to work experience and ensure it is inclusive. It describes what is considered work experience, how it should be managed and an approach to managing requests from friends and family.
- UBS Student Application Form - An example of an application for year 10 students who are applying for a work experience placement.
- UBS Student Confirmation Letter - An example letter UBS send to students who have successfully gained a work experience placement with their business.
- Barclays Risk Assessment & Confidentiality Agreement - They should be used for reference only when considering the risk assessment and confidentiality agreement appropriate for your business.
- Barclays Work Experience Resource Pack For Students - An example of a handbook for work experience students to use during their placement.